|Cost :||Approx £133|
|Time Taken :||120+ hours|
|Planned for the ball @ FuyuCon 09. If I don't finish in time then DEFINITELY will be for the Grand International cosplay ball.|
I needed a costume for FuyuCon's winter ball and the only completed costumes suitable for the ball are Ashe, Garnet and Juliet. I will not beable to dance in Ashe's dress, I don't like my Garnet cosplay and for some reason I don't feel like wearing Juliet's dress. After going through a list of Sakura's costumes, I knew I MUST make this dress! This is one of the cosplays where you say the character has been cosplayed loads of times and yet you can't believe no one has made this costume because it's absolutely pretty!
There are 3 things which I changed from the original artwork.
1) I choose dark red instead of pink for the gloves and over coat because I think the combination of dark red, light pink and black is better then dark pink, light pink and black.
2) I made the skirt 4 layers. The reference picture looks as though the skirt is 7 layers, but it was impossible to make too many layers since I am short. Proportions wins over accuracy.
3) This is where you'll say I'm blind! I thought the flower clip on Sakura's head was a headband, so I made a head band though I have plans to take the flower/ribbons from the headband to put on a clip.
|Patterns on dress||High||Complete|
Progress 60% (Posted 4th October 2009)
I almost died after 50+ hours of painting, took almost all of my time T_T Good news is that I only have 1 more skirt layer to paint then it should be fun to sew all the pannels together along with beading. Hope to start making the overcoat thing soon as Fuyu is only 3 weeks away *panics*
Half way (Posted 22nd September 2009)
All 3 photos were taken during the night with different flashes hence the poor colour quality. See the first journal as it shows the closest light pink colour match.
I think I am approximately half way through making this costume. I already finished cutting and hemming all the skirt pannels, so it's a matter of more painting and beading, then sewing all the pannels together. The bodice looks kinda weird and the reason is that I tried to keep the front as flat as possible to match up with the reference picture.
OMG! only a month left before FuyuCon, fingers cross I will finish in time.
Progress 40% (I think) (Posted 13th September 2009)
I finished the painting the black details on the bodice and upper layer skirt (yey!) though still need to paint 3 more layers of the skirt T_T. I love how the hem of the skirt looks circular.
I also brought some black beads from Hobby Craft (approximately 564 in total, hopefully will be enough) and started to do a lot of beading using invisible thread. Beading is so much fun and ironically I thought it would be a tedious job.
Patterns continued (Posted 9th September 2009)
This is really tedious! I have painted more patterns which took up 10 hours of my time. Hopefully will be worth it.
Pattern (first result) (Posted 2nd September 2009)
Finally the paint has dried, so I gently lifted the stencil to see the result. Personally, I think the patterns look fairly nice though I'm annoyed that the patterns are NOT symmetric. Everything, expect the rose shapes in the middle are meant the be symmetric. Also some lines are thicker then others T_T
The white rose and black ribbon was placed on the fabric but will be sewn on later. OMG! I only just started the pattern which took almost 3 hours and still have to paint an estimated of another 50. I better keep on top otherwise it will be postponed... only 7 weeks left until FuyuCon *panics*
Patterns (Posted 1st September 2009)
I was originally going to make the pattern stencils after the base of dress is completed, however I thought it will be a pain to undo the stitches, paint, then redo stitches again, so I decided to start the patterns before sewing the pieces of fabric together.
I finally made up my mind to paint the patterns over applique for a few reasons. Firstly my sewing machine broke and it would be tedious to applique everything by hand and secondly the fabrics which I like to use for the patterns frays!
I made a stencil out of foam which I realise was a BAD idea! The material was not stiff enough and kept on moving even though I sealed it with masking tape. Definitely would consider using card next time! Unfortunately I could not get the pattern to be accurate and match the original design mainly due to Sakura's tall and slim proportions, so I drew it to the best of my ability to include as much detail. Painting the patterns caused so much pain! word of advice is to use a table and NEVER paint it on the floor since I had to bend over which results in back pain T_T
Now, I am just waiting for the paint to dry whlist typing this journal (feels like using a hair dryer to speed things up)
Gloves (Posted 9th August 2009)
NOTE:- Black lolita dress is not part of cosplay. I only worn it for a progress shoot because wearing the gloves with my usual outfits makes the gloves look abit horrid as they clash so much with casual clothing.
Gloves are finally finished after dreading so much about making them. I HATE making gloves and I can repeat several times how much I HATE making them! Gloves are the most EVIL thing to make in cosplay as it's extremely difficult to get the right shape for the perfect fit. I remebered the time when I was making gloves for my DragonFly race dress Sakura and they failed so badly, but luckily I found some in a shop. However for this ball dress, there was NO way I can buy these gloves as the coat needs to be the same fabric and colour as the gloves leaving me with no choice to make them!
Materials used were dark red countess satin, black satin ribbon and hot glue gun. Overall I'm around 70% happy with the gloves as they did not totally fail unlike the DragonFly race gloves. The other 30% is because they do not fit prefectly on my fingers though I suppose it's a little difficult to notice unless you touch my fingers.
I know the colour of the gloves are meant to be dark pink, but I prefer to go for a darkish red instead because a combination of baby pink, dark red and black works better then 2 shades of pink with black (this is only my opinion) Anyways I HATE wearing too much pink because I felt like a Barbie doll and this was a lesson I learnt after cosplaying as Karin Hanazono in her godess form. I don't nessecary hate the colour pink, it's an okay colour but too much is like....blah!!!!
Head band (Posted 3rd August 2009)
OMG! I can't believe I'm actually working on cosplay even though I feel so tired after work every day. Probably shows how determined I am to finish this cosplay before FuyuCon without rushing!
Today during my lunch break at work, I took a short trip to Dunlem Mills to buy some flowers along with coloured threads. Work sucks for only letting me have half an hour break, so I never had time to eat and I was literaly starving through work. Anyways the good news is that I have almost everything I need for this cosplay apart from the beads which I may have to make a trip to Coventry's Hobby Craft to buy hundreds of beads!!!!!
I thought I'll make a start to the head band since it is one of the most simple parts of the cosplay. I don't want to jump into the deep end and start the actual dress until I make clear measurements. Head band is made out of pink countess satin with a hidden layer of hemp for stiffness along with a headband underneath to maintain the shape. The details were done by using black satin ribbon and a fake white rose, all guled together using a hot glue gun.
Overall I'm 90% happy with the headband, the other 10% is where I wish I used a thinner ribbon. Anyways, I should be making the actual dress next (I somehow feel scared)
Sketching patterns (Posted 2nd August 2009)
Before starting the base of dress, I decided to do a rough sketch of the patterns. The artwork does not show a clear picture of the details, so I thought this was very important to get an idea of the patterns before starting the real thing.
Took approximately an hour in total to draw the patterns and I'm fairly pleased with it. I usually suck at drawing anything symmetrical and very detailed, but these test sketches turned out how I wanted. I will start to make stencils once the base of dress is completed.
The only question I'm asking is should the patterns be appliqued or painted? I'm leaning towrds paint because it will take forever to sew on the pieces of fabric, plus most fabrics fray! The only probelm with paint is that one little mistake would say "bye bye cosplay"
Gathering materials (Posted 1st August 2009)
Today I went to meet up with a friend in Brummy's city centre. I thought I'll make use of it by making a trip to the markets and Fancy Silk stores to buy as much as I need for this cosplay.
Cost and material break down