Finished (Posted 11th August 2009)
BITCH IS DONE. YES!
Painting (Posted 8th August 2009)
Right, 5 days on and I'm starting to paint the sword. I should hopefully have all the painting and detailing done by Tuesday. Then I have the rest of Tuesday and Wednesday to concentrate on finishing the rest of this costume.
UGH. I have NEVER cut it this close before. And i don't like it! >__<
Sword Beginnings (Posted 3rd August 2009)
At first it was a pole, a box and some masking tape.
But that's okay! That's accurate. And it doesn't look quite so laughable as I first though. X__X
No oppertunity to paper maché tonight, so will have to do the first layer tomorrow after work.
Sword start (Posted 3rd August 2009)
Okay. Its a week and a half until Aya and I'm starting my sword now. What am I, daft?
I have a broom handle which is about my height (so like, perfect in sword to height ratio) and I have cardboard. I'll be making the skeleton shape tonight and the first layer of paper maché I hope.
I'm hoping to have all the layers of paper maché done and dusted by Friday. Then use the weekend for priming and sanding. And then the days I have off before Aya to get it painted!
That's the plan. X___x
And more armour... (Posted 22nd July 2009)
Well - more armour has been done.
I've made and painted the 5 amulets that are on the costume. These have been reinforced with buckrum and will be attached with clips to hold them in place.
Uhm... the obi belt is nearly finished. I have to add velcro cause the stupid snap fasteners keep coming undone. UHM. Yeah... I'm nearly done. I need tog et a stick to make the sword. And make the leggings and shoes.
Uh... more armour (Posted 15th July 2009)
The summer makes paint dry quickly, so I'm making short work of the armour. I have to paint the underside of the shoulder and leg armour. Just one coat, and then sew them to the kimono... which I'm not looking forward to. =__=
The helmet is pretty much finished. It needs varnishing, and a bit of a touch up where bristles from my paint brush got left behind. >_< But yeh, almost done there. Then going to get started on the five amulets on the front of the kimono. The leggings and head band I'll get started on once I have the material, which I'll be getting on Friday. The shoes I'm just on the look out for black wedge flip flop things... which are going to be evil to wear because I HATE flipflops with a vengance.
UHm... yeah... I had more to say, but its nearly half one in the morning and i'm not feeling that coherant.
Armour (Posted 14th July 2009)
well, I started the armour yesterday and got the big bits made. That is the shoulder, leg and helmet. I will do armour for the feet and the hands, but not going to get started on that yet.
Anyway. I've painted the armour black at the moment. I'm going to get some purple paint and mix it with silver to get the kind of mauve/silver sheen on it.
Skirt done, on to armour (Posted 13th July 2009)
The under skirt is finished, all neatly trimmed with yellow bias. Fits pretty well and is a good length, so I won't flash anyone when I sit or bend down. Though I'm going to wear hotpants with this, anyway!
I'm off to my dad's for 2 weeks as of tomorrow, so I'm taking a lot of sewing and bits with me. I'm planning to get started on the helmet and armour while I'm there. I have an idea of how to do it which involves craft foam, buckrum and glue... but we'll see how it goes.
On the way (Posted 11th July 2009)
So, the main kimono robe is complete and lined on the edges with the correct colour. I'm going to check screenshots, but I'm pretty sure that's all there is to this kimono.
The blue obi belt is half way done. I need to make it a bit skinniner as its too thick at the moment. And I'll need some yellow cotton to make the yellow belt that ties around the middle, instead of using left over yellow bias tape.
The uber skirt is also about half way. Its all sewn and elasticated to stay up; I have the slit pinned open and am going to be pinning the yellow bias tape on the edging shortly and then sewing it.
Bias binding (Posted 9th July 2009)
I have green bias binding and yello bias binding to start the lining on the kimono and the skirt.
Making headway (Posted 8th July 2009)
So most of the main kimono is in progress. I have to buy some green binding for the edges of the kimono, and yellow binding for the skirt. The skirt also needs elastic around the waist to it stays up.
Productive, productive (Posted 5th July 2009)
Today was most productive! I had the fabulous Chevi at my house and having someone around also sewing always makes me want to sew more! So I managed to get my kimono sewn together from a Simplicity pattern and the sleeves added. Also managed on the obi belt as well.
The kimono is made from poly cotton, as is the obi belt with iron in vilene. I will be adding all the different lining colours, and making the skirt very shortly! As well as getting started on the armour. :)