Horizon Zero Dawn

Cosplayer: delusional

Status: In Progress

Condition: Not Set

This costume has not been worn at any events yet.

9th August 2019: Beeeeeads done All of her beads are now done, I've temporarily strung them up and now they're put aside until I've done the fur collar that they attach to. (Will sit lower than pictured, as they'll start from a bit lower). Also made the beads for her braids and lower leg straps. Not sure if the blue is a bit bright, but I'll decide once I have all the colours and top put together, can always tone down / weather a bit if so! All the beads are resin clay from Coscraft, painted with acrylic inks with a varnish coat to hopefully protect them a bit.

3rd August 2019: Fake animal hide test So Aloy's outfit is mostly made out of animal pelts and skins, which for sake of cost and ethics I've replaced with synthetic versions. Mostly synthetics are easier to work with, however trying to get a raw edge that you see on hides is a bit tricky with woven materials mostly because they fray like hell. For the test piece below, I've backed the faux suede with light iron on interfacing, giving it a bit more structure and helping keep the threads together. That wasn't quite enough when I did some rough edge cutting though, and it started fraying - so I coated the back around a 1cm of the edge with PVA glue. Once that had dried, I could easily cut jagged edges in and fine-grit sand the very edge for a faded / weathered look. No fraying woo! Underneath the test piece is the blue material I'm going to edge it with (that the fake hide sits on top), but it needs some fading and weathering to match the colours right.

28th July 2019: Necklace beads For the ‘wooden’ ones, I found a wood texture imprint that you can use for icing, which works pretty well to get some texture! The paint marbling effect doesn’t work as well for these ones, so I’m going to have to spray a flat colour then do a black wash to try and highlight the grain detail. Annoying there’s twice as many of these ones, I’m about half way through moulding at the moment...

28th July 2019: Necklace beads Made a start on her many beads for various necklaces and decorations. From the slightly different rendering I’ve decided the pale smooth necklace is meant to be stones, and the slightly texturised red/brown is carved wood. Started with the ‘stone’ one, where I’ve used acrylic ink to marble some resin clay from coscraft, and kept them smooth but slightly wonky looking as in the reference. Because none of them need to be the exact same shape, size or colour they’re quite relaxing to make. Once dry I’ll give them a coat of varnish to get that polished look.

25th July 2019: Knife pouch At her back she has a decorated knife pouch, which I’ve made out of leatherette. I backed the top layer onto a thin piece of foam to give it a thicker feel and to give it more structure for the embroidery. Annoyingly the cord I have that matches super well was too thick and solid for any needles, so I had to punch holes in advance and then poke it through with a tool, making it take so much longer ;_;
Once the main pattern was done I sewed it onto a matching back piece and turned inside out so it’s nice either side.

I need some slightly lighter embroidery thread to finish off the edge detailing, then I can stick some studs on it. I’ll do the weathering all at once when I’ve made all the other pouches.

24th July 2019: Finished knee armour (for now) Added the colours and dry brushed battle damage and shading, then added the rope! I’ll add weathering to the rope, but will do it when I have all the armour pieces done so it’s consistently coloured and I can do them all at once saving time.

24th July 2019: Necklaces & belt Started on some of the decorative bits as they’re fun and fairly simple!
I’m waiting on materials to make the beads, but I’ve done her other necklaces. The bright blue is a mini hose spray painted metallic, the other two are cord dyed with silk paints and the same hose as the bright blue but with bias binding wrapped around it. The belt I already had a brown heavy duty webbing thing, so I painted on the pattern with acrylic.

I’m not sure the hose is thick enough for the ‘cable’ but going to see how it all looks with the fur & beads before I change it.

20th July 2019: Knee armour Finalised the paper templates and the layers! Chose to use 5mm foam, which I scored on the back to make the shape/curves. Decided to try and make the texture straight onto the foam, so I heated up the foam and pressed a variety of things onto it. Cheese grater, sieve and extractor fan mesh - the mesh gave the closest effect! I’ll dry brush it to make it stand out more once it’s painted. Added the details with extra bits of foam, drilled the holes and tidied up with sanding where I could. Now it’s just at the boring ‘many coats of primer’ stage :(

It’ll be attached to the leg wraps by Velcro which I’ll glue onto the back. In theory.

19th July 2019: Knee armour Starting with something small but fun and crafty - bits of the armour! Going to use layers of EVA foam for this, but first is mocking up the templates. From the intial few I've done here, I need to make some slight tweaks around the scaling of some parts (making the middle top bit wider, etc), but nearly there. I am SO happy that none of her armour or indeed outfit is symmetrical, makes things so much easier :D